Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Color of Confusion


The Color of Credit is no doubt useful to some audience. However, understanding the statisical regressions and minutia of underwriting standards is well beyond my pay grade. I struggled with this book for months (reading it mainly, it seems, on airplanes--where I had no other options to distract me) and have finally finished it, but cannot say that I am much better off for it. Even as someone that deals with the banking industry on a daily basis, I am not nearly expert enough to comprehend this--though I am sure there are people that find this material quite useful. Using my limited knowledge, I tried just to grasp the outlines of what the authors were saying, without getting too deep into the weeds. I certainly find it easy to believe that there is significant racism in mortgage lending, and perhaps the solutions offered by Ross and Yinger can lead to improvement. I'd be willing to consider it, after getting briefed in layman's terms, that is.

No comments: