Saturday, November 17, 2007

Dostoevsky Redux



I read Notes from the Underground when I was in high school and it was a real touchstone for me. It spoke to me directly, and recognized the peculiar pleasure we take in misery in a truthful way. I would still put it on the shortlist of novels that are essential reading. So for a long time I've been meaning to work back around to Dostoevsky's other works, particularly the long books that he is known for. And I'm happy to report that I am finally doing that. Of course, the book I'm talking about here is not one of his more famous long books, though it is a rewarding and fascinating read. Dostoevsky's characters, even in these shorter works (in a relative sense; these are closer to novellas than short stories) have a wonderful sense of urgency and are driven toward their inexplicable but emphatic actions by feelings over which they have no mastery, and often very little comprehension. The Double and White Nights are highlights, but there really are no low-lights in this volume. Dostoevsky's literature is probably the most cogent argument for conservatism around, emphasizing that people often intentionally act against their own interests and that reason holds little sway. In a world populated with these characters, it is impossible to see an enlightened society develop. But Dosoevsky also has a sly sense of humor and absurdity, and it's not uncommon to find yourself smiling as you read.
Reading the classic Russian writers always makes me think of dark spicy beer or strong black coffee. It's thick and should be consumed slowly and is best in the winter. Not something you'd enjoy on the beach, but at the right time, deeply satisfying.

2 comments:

Matt G. said...

Go for Crime and Punishment, it is a massive undertaking to read that book, but I'm sure a man with the will power to get through all those left behind books will have no problem.

By the way, you are absolutely right, White Nights is a fabulous read.

"who is it Nastenka?"

"It's him!"

I think I actually died when I read that.

KH said...

I'll never forget how impressed and turned on I was when you said you were writing your HON 172 paper on Dostoevsky...