Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dark Tower Con't


The Drawing of the Three continues Stephen King's Dark Tower series. If the first book served as our introduction to the Gunslinger, this volume lets us meet the supporting characters, the three that are "drawn" into the gunslinger's world from our own. The opening of the book is startling, as events happen quite quickly and irrevocably. However, soon after the events of the first few pages, the book settles into a pattern that is fairy predicable. Drawing of the Three isn't really a dull book, but it feels like a placeholder until King can start in the bulk of the story. I don't mind a lot of build up in a novel, but I wonder if maybe the first two books of the series should have been combined.

That said, the new characters aren't bad. I'm just a little disappointed that this series hasn't gotten off the ground much yet. Perhaps my expectations are set too high, but supposedly this series is King's masterpiece, and I'm impatient for the narrative to take shape. I'd feel much more at ease recommending some of his stand alone books over the Dark Tower at this juncture.

No comments: