Thursday, June 14, 2007

A Return at Long Last

Predictably, the posting schedule here has been, shall we say, erratic, at best. But I'm ready to make another go at semi-regular updates, provided I can think of things to mention or rip off from some other site.

Today I thought I would take the relatively easy route of talking about a book I recently read, something which maybe I'll do more frequently, because at least that's more interesting than what's on CNN. The potboiler I had in mind was Tom Daschle's book, Like No Other Time. I am one of the seven people who bothered to read this one. Normally I wouldn't pick up a book by a politician because, well come on. They're horrible; badly written, full of meaningless, non-offensive, uplifting rhetoric, and having little to no original insight into any problem facing the nation. Daschle's isn't appreciably different from a normal politician's book, but it is particularly interesting to me because of my interest in SD politics. So I bite the bullet on this one.

It came out in 2003, when Daschle was still in the Senate, a serious drawback. If it was written after his defeat, then maybe he could have afforded a few more risky remarks. The subtitle is something like "the 107th Congress and How it Changed America Forever." This is of course hyperbole, but it is true that the years 2000-2002 were politically turbulent. Among the events covered in the book are the 2000 election, Jim Jeffords switching of parties (and the change in control of the Senate that resulted), 9/11, the anthrax attacks on Daschle's office, the build up to the Iraq War, and the disasterous outcome of the 2002 elections for the Democrats. So there's plenty of material for the book to cover.

As I mentioned, Daschle isn't really free to talk about these subjects due to the fact that he's still in office and up for re-election the year after this book was published. The heat that the book generates comes simply from learning a bit more about his personal relations with other members of the Senate and from understanding what 9/11 and the anthrax attacks looked like from his POV while they were occurring. The 9/11 chapter is interesting, but doesn't really say anything new about the attacks. However, the anthrax chapter is easily the best part of the book. While I knew that anthrax had been sent to Daschle's office not long after 9/11, I hadn't realized how serious that event had really been. Reading the chapter made me understand how lucky his staff were that none of them were killed. There were postal service mail carriers who died from just handling similar anthrax letters; some Daschle staffers were exposed to amounts of anthrax that were hundreds of times larger than a potentially lethal dose, yet in the end there were no fatalities from his office. This chapter is riveting at times and enlarged my understanding and appreciation of the importance of this event.

The book is at its weakest in the closing chapters, when meakly defending the Democrats vote in favor of authorization of the war, yet trying to be critical of the handling. It is full of the sort of vacillation that I've come to expect from Democrats on this issue, and not convincing. I expect that if Daschle were writing this now, out of office and a few years removed from the decision to go to war, he would be much harsher on himself and others who made that terrible vote.

In the end the book was worthwhile to me only because of my particular interest in SD politics, and I can understand why it was never widely read nationwide. It is more or less what you would expect--overly cautious, in much the same way that Senator Daschle was too often overly cautious during his time as party leader.

No comments: